Day 8: Final day with students and teachers in Ugweri

Today’s blog post is written by one of the study abroad students.

Name:  Ptahra Jeppe

Ptahra in front of colorful plants at St. Jerome Ugweri Day Secondary School

Hometown:  Brooklyn, New York

Year and Program of Study:  In final year of the JD Law program, the MS in Cultural Foundations of Education program, and the Certificate of Advanced Studies of Disability Studies program

I am participating in the Kenya study abroad experience because I am interested in learning and studying cultures different from my own. I am interested in disability in the global context and I am excited by the idea of being able to study special education in Kenya and to learn from the people of Kenya in general.

Some things I have observed thus far are the lush landscape, beautiful flowers and fruits and vegetables. I have observed the contrast of the tall buildings and metropolitan feel of Nairobi with the smaller homes and buildings and the agricultural landscape of Embu County.

I have found it interesting to participate in the special education class in Ugweri Primary School. There were many commonalities in the challenges that children in special education face in Kenya and abroad, as well as challenges unique to this community. I am fascinated to learn from the special education teacher who, with minimal resources, has transformed the lives of her students. For example, she has built homes, bathrooms and water tanks for some of the students, she has created vegetable gardens for each child’s home, and has started a program where she engages the students in cooking a meal every day for their lunch. For some students, this is their only meal of the day. When my classmates and I entered this new space, everyone (as might be expected) was nervous about what the three days in the special education class would bring. The students, however, quickly began to open up and share with us what they have learned. We were able to share in the joy and excitement of one student learning how to thread a needle and begin to sew, a task he had not been able to tackle previously. This skill of hand-eye coordination was not only realized, but this is a vocational skill that will allow this student to provide for his family and contribute to his community. Watching the community’s attitudes toward the students we got to know evolve was an honor to experience, given the fact that there are families that keep students with disabilities at home and the school seems not to understand how truly capable the students in the special education class are and what they have to offer the community.

I am looking forward to keeping in touch with the special education classroom and finding ways that I and my community back home can support them. I am also looking forward to our next school experience in Embu town.

Recap of Today’s Activities:

We were at the schools in Ugweri again today. At the primary school, the day started with an assembly. The special education class worked together to cook their meal. After lunch, there was a classroom available for them to use in the school and they engaged in a lesson. Some of us visited other classes in the morning in the primary school and talked with the students and answered their questions. At the secondary school, members of our group observed classes and several taught classes.

Garmondyu teaching
Easton teaching
Jeff teaching
Joanna teaching

During the morning tea break, Garmondyu and I had an opportunity to discuss the importance of incorporating technology into the classroom with the secondary teachers, and the benefits of assistance technology.

Garmondyu talking with teachers about the tablets at the primary school
Teachers examining the tablets
Teachers examining the tablets
Ptahra demonstrating assistive technology features

Over lunch break, the principal, Mrs. Muli, and Peter Rugano, one of the school board of directors, spoke, and two members of our group also spoke, thanking the teachers and students for welcoming us and allowing us to observe and teach students. We then took some group photos with the teaching staff.

Mrs. Muli thanking us for collaborating with the teachers and students
Dr. Peter Rugano talking about the vision the board of directors has for the school
Group photo with secondary teachers
Group photo and cheer with secondary teachers

We very much enjoyed our time at the two schools in Ugweri. Below are some additional photos from our time together with these students and teachers.

Conversations
A school staff member speaking on his phone
Jeff in conversation with some students
Lunch under a large mango tree
Githeri (maize and beans) for lunch
Ugweri primary students
Tiffany jumping rope
Conversations in the staff room
Conversations in the staff room

In the evening, we all participated in a celebratory dinner at one of the host family’s homes. We have greatly enjoyed our time with our host families and appreciate their warm hospitality.